Organization key to success in activities

Yearbook Photo

Grace Major, Staff Writer

From forensics to basketball, the musical to cheerleading, Hillsboro High School students have wide variety of activities to pick from. But for some, choosing what to participate in, and keeping up with their schoolwork, can be a challenge.

With the stress of school already on students’ shoulders, adding more stress is a hassle. Though some people may not see it, the stress of extracurricular activities does weigh down on students. Chloe Pankratz, a senior, said she definitely feels stressed, and she sees it on other students, too.

“I’m in a lot of activities, and it’s difficult to not feel stressed,” Pankratz said.
“I really see it on others, as well.”

Leah Rose, who directs the spring play and sponsors GAP, said, “For some, I think it’s feeling the pressure to succeed in something, even if it’s your only activity. More often though, I see students who are involved in multiple activities, trying to balance all the school activities, school, church, family, etc.”

HHS offers many clubs and athletics and it’s easy for students to feel like they have to pick something, but it can be hard, especially when two things a student would like to do overlap.

“For a small school, we have a lot of activities,” said Sharon Loewen, a high school teacher. “We try to get everyone involved. Kids’ commitment can become less than what it could be.”

Loewen also said the number of students we have does affect the quality of activities.

“When spreading the number of people among a whole bunch [of activities], people are choosing where to put time and energy,” Loewen said.

Sarah Diener, a junior, agreed.

“The more people we have, the more likely we are to get talented people to be good at different activities,” she said. “But if a person has to choose, then we may lose a really talented person.”

Those students who want to participate in multiple activities need to have good time management skills.

Robert Rempel, activities director, said, “Students need to have discipline. If not, they will most likely not meet their potential in at least one of the things they are doing. Learning how to cope with stress, pressure and failure are all important parts of growing up.”

Rose agreed.

“Learning to balance a busy schedule, learning when to say ‘no’ to something, choosing who to spend your time with, is all a learning process that everyone goes through,” said Rose. “Perhaps, as staff, we are learning a balance of appropriate expectations for students in order for the group and individuals to succeed.”

Students recognize the importance of time management as well. Even Diener, who said she usually “just freestyles it,” writes out a list of all the things she needs to get done so she can work them in order of importance.

Caleb Rempel, a junior, said he tries to make homework a priority when it comes to time.

“I go to sports practice and then I do my homework. Free time after homework is what I try to do.”

Pankratz said, “It’s very hard. It takes a lot of self-discipline and being prepared is a big help.”