Fresh look at High School

Grace Major, Writer

High school can be scary. It’s a whole new ball game to the freshman. But it can also be a wonderful learning opportunity and a time to grow.

Teegan Werth, a freshman, said that so far her freshman year has been pretty good.

“It’s been stressful at times,” she said, “but when is school not like that once in a while? Sports has been a big change going from middle to high school. I have absolutely loved it, though, and can’t wait to do them for three more years. It has been a pretty good year and definitely better than I thought it was ever going to be.”

Freshman year may be full of surprises, and to Jessi Dalke, she was fine with the surprises.

“As soon as we entered high school, it seemed like people cared a lot less. About their grades, about their reputations. Which is fine with me—it makes it easier to be yourself. High school is still much better than what I’d been warned about.”

Expectations rise in high school. Teachers expect more in and out of class and coaches work the team harder during practice and games.

“I came in with the mindset that I was going to have to work super hard,” said Werth. “I knew that if I just stayed on top of my work and worked hard that it would pay off and I would get good grades. It would also show the teachers that I appreciate what they are doing and will work hard to do well in their class. It’s definitely harder to miss school and get caught back up. A lot of stress is put on you. Being in sports and coming home from practice at six, and then having to do a couple hours of homework is a lot. It almost feels like you don’t have a life anymore because you’re so wrapped up in school work.”

Dalke, on the other hand, said she doesn’t see a lot of higher expectations.

“Only two of my teachers seem to have higher expectations. It wasn’t too hard for me to transition, because there didn’t seem to be much to transition to. There’s not much homework for me anyway, so that’s nice. There is a much wider range of activities, which is cool. I don’t do many of them, but it’s good for the people who do.”

High school doesn’t stop after one year. These freshmen still have three years to go. While Dalke said she’s ready for growing more friendships and one year closer to graduation, Werth said she is excited about sports and creating friendships with new people.

High school is a time to grow and reflect. We don’t know what’s to come, but we take the opportunity we have now to learn more about ourselves, our friends and our lives. Werth said her view on high school has changed over the course of the year.

“It’s so short! I learned that I just need to cherish every moment of life, and to not take anything for granted. One thing that has impacted my life is choosing friends wisely. Being around people who are bad for you can rub off, and make you a person you don’t want to be. Having less drama through the year just makes it so much more enjoyable.”