Having a Moment with Seniors

Grace Major, Staff Writer

High school. The last four years before you start a whole new chapter in your life. What do the seniors have to say about it?

“My four years at Hillsboro High School have been interesting, to say the least,” Samantha Moss said. “They have also been really influential in my life and have prepared me to move on from small-town life.”

“Overall, I think my time here has been pretty good. I enjoyed getting to know new friends and getting to spend time with them over the years,” Colin Settle agreed. “I liked being able to explore options to help better understand what I want to do in the future and I had a lot of fun playing sports.”

Moss said her most memorable event was going to state with her softball team her freshman year, but Abby Sechrist said she didn’t have any big thing stick out to her.

“My high school years have been a lot of little moments that I will remember, like hanging with friends and fun interactions during sports.”

On the outside, high school may not seem all that difficult, but Moss recalls her tough sophomore year.

“It was my most challenging year,” she said. “Just when you think you are getting the hang of high school life throws a curve ball. My classes were pretty tough that year and it really got the best of me.”

Settle said not to worry, though, the years get easier.

“Freshman year everything is new and you’re moving all the time and going through changes. It’s very scary and a lot to comprehend, but as you ease into everything I think it all just becomes a little clearer as to what is going on,” Settle said. “Of course, by your senior year, you have a whole new set of challenges that will ultimately come full circle as you go to college the very next semester.”

Sechrist reminds the juniors not to check out of their senior year.

“The most challenging and the most stressful year is senior year, with all the decision being forced into leadership positions, but it has been really good,” Sechrist said. “I have learned and grown a lot during my time here. There are so many good relationships you can still make and new things to learn. There are plenty of opportunities to grow.”

The other seniors had some wise words for the underclassmen.

“Don’t be afraid to just be yourself,” Settle said. “My personal motto: People are going to look at you and judge you no matter what you do, every single day of your life. So why not give them something to look at? Not putting yourself out there is probably the worst decision you could make. It will allow you to express yourself and show you what you really love about yourself.”

Moss added, “Never think you are too good because odds are you aren’t. Just be you. Who cares what others think of you? It’s not their life you’re living, it’s yours.”

Time can fly between freshman and senior year, and these seniors understand it.

“It went by so fast! When I was a freshman, seniors told me it would go by fast, but I didn’t believe it, but it really does fly by,” Sechrist said. “I do still feel like a scrawny freshman as a senior, and I don’t have a handle on life really. But I do feel more confident like I am able to handle more situations by myself now than when I was a freshman.”

“The last four years have been the fastest of my life. You have so much more freedom as a senior,” Settle said. “Taking college classes and actually making an impact in school decisions fall on us. There is a lot more respect as well when you’re the senior top dog in the school.”

Of course, these seniors don’t have everything figured out yet. They said they are still scared about the future, but they are excited to begin a new chapter in their lives.

“I’m looking forward to going to college and meeting new people,” said Moss. “I’ll be one step closer to doing something I’m really passionate about.”

High school at a small school can have a lasting impact on students’ lives. Settle understands that impact first hand.

“If anything’s impacted me,” he said, “it’s been the people around me. Whether it be the teachers, my peers, or just the community as a whole. I think it’s huge to surround yourself with the community here in Hillsboro. The amount of support we have is amazing. I don’t think you could really find it anywhere else.”