Leadership, Experience, Opportunity

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leadership, Experience, Opportunity

Grace Major, Staff Writer

One of the many clubs offered at Hillsboro High School is LEOs. LEOs has participated and sponsored many events. The club has collected glasses for a glasses drive, and coats for the Harvey County Safe Home. Last year, LEOs raised money for cochlear implants for a girl in need.

“LEOs reminds me that even small things can make a difference when working together,” Abby Driggers, a junior, said. “Putting powdered sugar on funnel cakes may not look like anything, but it can change someone’s life.”

“I’ve been in LEOs for two years,” said Millie Sechrist, a sophomore. “My sisters have both been in the club, and they really enjoyed it, so I thought I’d give it a try. I really just wanted to be a part of a club that serves other people.”

Anyone can join LEOs. For those unsure about it, Josiah Melton, a senior, said it is a good chance to help the community. “LEOs is a very selfless club and is known widely for its community service opportunities. Helping others, being a part of a respected club, and meeting other people who share the same ideology are a few benefits to being a part of LEOs.”

“All the activities are optional. It’s important to get involved in as many as you can, but you can limit your involvement to suit your needs,” Driggers said, “LEOs is a wonderful opportunity to do things for other people and invest in the lives of people who need it.”

LEOs has not only helped people of the community, but also its own members. Callie Meisinger, a senior, said she tends to focus on the tragic things in the world, which makes her feel hopeless. “It’s changed my perspective on the world,” she said. “Through my time in LEOs, I feel as though we can make a difference in our community and that we can impact the world around this.”